Monday 19 October 2015

Barangaroo - Obliterating the past, while recreating it ...


This is Paul Keating's Barangaroo Headland Park. Which I have no problem with, but have really only seen from the water, which is a bit ironic.


But what I wanted to point out is the sad lack of prominence for the Sydney Observatory, which has stood on the same rise since 1858. You can see it qhite clearly in the two old photographs, but I will have to indicate with an arrow on the two new photographs, taken from the Greenwich Point ferry.


The first old photo shows Cuthbert's Shipyards in 1865. The second photo of a painting by an unknown artist is dated 1870.



3 comments:

Joe said...

It seems that there is some truth in the adage "Progress stops for no-one" Julie.

William Kendall said...

It does look lost in there.

diane b said...

Excuse me, please explain............as Pauline would say. Why is it Paul Keating's park. Did he instigate it? I can't get my bearings not sure where this headland id nor the observatory.