Thursday 26 March 2015

Classified by the National Trust - 83 York Street


"Paul Reader" is a winter sport's store at 83 York Street, in the city. The firm was established in 1956 by Paul Reader, who tried most of the major north-south streets, before settling on York Street in 1987, when son took over from father.

Classified by the National Trust, this ten-storey building was built in 1913 with a brick and sandstone facade. It was refurbished by Lipman's in 2001 and is currently valued at $90m.

The dyadic neon sign caught my eye. They are not much in fashion nowadays, this style of neon sign.

There is a very small winter sport industry in Australia, as the arrival of snow is unreliable, as is its quantity when it does arrive.


3 comments:

William Kendall said...

The style of the building certainly does appeal to me!

Joan Elizabeth said...

Reminds me of the golf neon sign down near central.

Julie said...

Sadly, Joan, the golf sign near Central was removed , and the entire block is in the process of being redevoped. I think I may have read (perhapos on Jim's blog) that the sign is in storage, ready to be reinstalled. I will ask him.