|Wynyard Square is but a wisp of its former self, existing as it does as a transport gateway to the bustling central business district of Sydney.|
It started life as the parade grounds for the military barracks of the young colony in the fading years of the 18th century. As the city grew, the land became too valuable to "waste" on solders, so they were shunted out to Victoria Barracks in 1848, and and Sydney's most rapacious occupational group - land developers - started nibbling away.
What used to be bounded by George, Margaret, Clarence and Barrack (each an existing street) is no more than a sliver of green around which to direct a fleet of buses, and under which to direct a fleet of trains.
Here are images of the square throughout its 200 years:
|Wynyard Square, 1800 and 1810|
|Wynyard Square, 1830 and 1845|
|Wynyard Square, 1858 and 1890|
|Wynyard Square, 1906 and 1928|
|Wynyard Square, 1930s and 1940s|
|Take this link to see more participants in the CDP Theme Day for May 2014|